Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Rain-Holiday Paradigm

Rainy days are sometimes the best days to hit the beach. Seems like school's
recognize that! 
I'm sorry, but I simply need to talk about this. It's kinda the weirdest phenomenon and iv'e never seen this NOT happen.
So picture yourself lazing around at home, doing nothing basically except dreading the inevitable school day tomorrow. Of course it's raining outside but you don't get your hopes high. Then as it turns to night it gets cloudier and cloudier but suddenly stops raining altogether. Only for it to resume in the wee hours of the morning.

That's where the situation was this morning. As usual I would wake up, slowly trudge out of bed and get on with my life. Here's where it changes. This would be the usual routine on a rain-holiday. First you would get an SMS from some friend of your who seems to have his eyes perceptually glued to the TV screen-

New Message from "X"
Today Holiday. Chk Sun news. 
sent 6:42 AM

Now we're talkin'! So as natural as it may seem I go switch on the TV screen. There's this flash news thingy that goes along the bottom of the screen. After those flashes appear two or three times I'm finally able to decode what's written there. ( Spare me and my slow Tamil reading skills :))

Now, all we need is a school confirmation...I'm still kinda jobless. Then-

New Message from "Y" 
Yeah! We got a holiday! 
sent 6:50 

Alright. I get it. These text message go on for a lil' bit more time. Then I get bored and start sending some of my own. All this brings us to the school's message-

New Message from Yokibu
2-12-2010 is a holiday for students from class I to XII. 
sent 7:05

And just as that message comes in, as weird as it may be, the rain simply ceases. Very interesting phenomenon I should say. I'm not complaining though. It's just as if the rain hates school as much as any other random school kid. And now I'm pretty sure the sky is blue again. I'll be damned if it isn't.

To a wonderful sun-filled holiday!- Sudharshan!

6 comments:

  1. My dabba phone can do wonders sometimes :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today was not a day like that..

    Kept raining even after a holiday was declared..

    Lets hope that tomorrow will be a holiday too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geez. Suddhu It took you a while to note that routine.

    ....anyway...my school is stingy about giving days off for weather. :l
    We only when cars slide and crash or if the schools buses can't get through the snow. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice phone you've got there. And yeah isn't amazing how the rain stops after the holidays declared?? :D

    ReplyDelete